Friday, November 1, 2013

WORLD WAR Z (2013)

Former U.N. investigator Brad Pitt is enjoying some quiet time with his wife (Mireille Enos) and two daughters when a full on zombie outbreak happens.  Things are pretty exciting at first (in a shaky cam, PG-13 kind of way), but then you start to realize that this is it.  It's never going to get any more violent, there's never going to be any shocking moments and all of the zombie action is just going to be the of the bland, bloodless, twitchy, CGI variety that could pretty much be shown on network TV without any problem.  Also, for some strange reason, when the zombies are calm they sound like chickens.  After the initial outbreak, Pitt is ordered to travel all over the world looking for an cure to this zombie problem.  Sounds exciting and there are plenty of action scenes, but somehow it's still kinda boring.  I did enjoy the Jerusalem and airplane scenes.

I'd read Studs Terkel's, I mean, Max Brooks' "World War Z" book a few years ago and wasn't impressed, but I had expected the film version to be better than the book.  Guess I was wrong.  Worth a watch, but don't expect anything special. 

If you need me I'll be in my room reading Brian Keene's "The Rising" or maybe playing some Left 4 Dead.